The Minor Basilica of Santa María del Mar is a Catalan Gothic church in Barcelona, located in the Ribera district and built between 1329 and 1383. The master builders were Berenguer de Montagut (the main designer of the building) and Ramón Despuig. The initiative on the construction of the church had the canon Bernardo Llull.
Some current studies support the hypothesis that it was built on an ancient amphitheater or Roman arenas.
The construction began in 1329, as witnessed by the tombstones of the Moreras portal (which leads to Fossar de les Moreres). A noteworthy fact that still persists: it is agreed that the work was to belong, exclusively, to the parishioners of the port area and the Ribera, the sole material responsible for the temple, since they were the ones who paid for it, well with their money or with your work. This fact is in clear contrast to the cathedral that was also being built at the same time and that was associated with the monarchy, the nobility and the high clergy. It seems that the entire population of the Ribera actively participated in the construction, especially the unloaders of the dock, called galafates de la Ribera or bastaixos, which carried the huge stones for the construction of the church from the royal quarry of Montjuïc and from the beaches, where were the boats that had brought them to Barcelona, to the very Plaza del Borne, loading them on their backs, one by one. The main door of the church pays homage to the bastaixos who helped its construction.