The Sterling Heights Assembler is an automobile factory in Sterling Heights, Michigan currently operated by Chrysler Group LLC. The factory opened in 1953 to produce missiles. Later it acquired Volkswagen and turned the assembler for the production of automobiles in 1980, but never manufactured automobiles there, instead it sold the plant to Chrysler in 1983.
After the plant was modernized in 2006, both the assembly line and the necessary tools for the manufacture of the Stratus and Sebring were sold to OAO GAZ and disassembled and sent to the company’s factory in Nizhny Novgorod in Russia. GAZ continued to produce the Stratus there under license until 2010 marketed as the Volga Siber.
On May 6, 2009 it was announced that the Sterling Heights plant would close before December 2010, however, the Chrysler board decided to manufacture the new model 200 which brought new life to the plant and saved it from being closed.
In 2010 Chrysler acquired the plant of the Old Carco LLC for 20 million dollars. The plant will retain its current 1,200 employees. Chrysler will begin construction of a new paint shop at the plant on June 21, 2011. This comes after an announcement of an investment of $ 850 million in October 2010.
«The factory tour is an opportunity to show consumers that the new 2015 Chrysler 200 is brand new,» explains Olivier Francois, Chrysler’s marketing director.
In total, the visit includes 12 shots of the factory to obtain an almost complete vision of the work that is done in the plant.