The Mark Twain House and Museum was the home of Mark Twain (whose real name was Samuel Langhorne Clemens) from 1874 to 1891 in Hartford, Connecticut, United States. Before 1871, when they moved to Hartford, Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri. The house, of nineteen rooms, is of Victorian Gothic style.
The place is noted for having been where the author’s main works were written, including The Golden Age, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Prince and the Beggar, Life in the Mississippi, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, A Tramp Abroad and A Yankee in the court of King Arthur.
The poor investment of his finances caused the Twain family to move to Europe in 1891. When they returned to Connecticut in 1900, Twain lived in a house built for him in Stormfield, where he died on April 21, 1910.
The house in Hartford functioned as a school, apartment building and library. In 1962 it was declared a National Historic Site of the United States. Since 1974, a multi-million dollar restoration and an extension dedicated to serve as an exhibition of the life and work of Mark Twain.