The museum was inaugurated in 1932, and its first director was the only male son of Sorolla, Joaquín Sorolla García, who increased the legacy and created the Foundation.
The strong point of the collections is, of course, Sorolla’s painting. The collection of the museum is the most important set of works of this painter that is conserved in the same institution. Sorolla was left with those works that he had painted for his own pleasure or that, because they were family portraits, they were not intended for sale. It is, then, a very personal collection of the painter, which is completed with numerous drawings and «notes of color», oil tablets where the painter continuously collected his prints.
But also the museum has all the furniture and the «other collections» that decorated the house in Sorolla’s life: sculptures and ceramics, especially, and all kinds of equipment: among them, easels, palettes and painter’s brushes .